The first hospital building to be erected in Eureka was in 1907, at 411 N. Main, on three lots purchased by Dr. E.J. Norman. The building was two-story and contained 16 modern rooms. The cost of the fine structure was about $7,000. The hospital was a private institution but ran for the benefit of the public.
In 1918 Dr. Norman was killed in an accident, and Eureka was without hospital facilities.